On June 20th we suffered a great loss. It's almost too heart breaking to write about. Tanner was one of Justin's best friends. They have been friends since the 5th grade when Tanner and his family moved from Idaho Falls. He was a very smart and an extremely talented athlete. He loved to run around and have fun no matter what they were doing. He was so kind to everyone. I can't write all that I admired and appreciated about this young man. I know though I will always have those memories in my heart, as will Justin, and our family. It will be hard to go to the first football game of their freshman year and Tanner not there to be quarterback. Justin and his friends will have many moments in their young lives when they will stop, for but a brief moment, and wish that he was there with them, experiencing all the great "firsts" they have ahead of them. And I believe he will be by their side , watching over them, guiding them. I haven't had a lot of deaths I have had to deal with in my life, but in Justin's 14 years, he has had to deal with the loss of 3 young people in our community within the last 6 months - with Tanner being the closest to him. I've had a hard time helping Justin, trying to comfort him when I don't understand the "whys" myself. I do know without a doubt that I have a Heavenly Father and He and our elder brother Jesus has embraced each of these young people with open arms, that I am so grateful for the temple, temple work, and eternal families, and that I have that knowledge, FAITH, and comfort that we will see Tanner again and others that we have lost. I feel guilty that something like this has to happen to "wake me up", to renew my commitment to family prayer, family home evening, my personal prayers, etc. and all that I fall short of, that I don't tell my babies I love them enough. I've been having a few mini panic attacks when Justin's been gone a little too long, or letting him go with his friends, or Jace & Hannah go somewhere in the neighborhood without tellin' me, I can't explain why. I pray constantly for Tanner's parents that they may find the peace and comfort they so desperately need. They too have the knowledge of the gospel and the atonement and that has brought them comfort but it still hurts, deeply. We miss you Tanner, #1 Jazz fan!! We love you and you will ALWAYS be with us in our hearts and memories!! Watch over my Justin and your other buddies - I am still counting on you to be each other's rock!Justin, Tyler, Gunner, and Tanner at 8th grade graduation.....
Justin and Tanner...Justin was so embarrassed that I had wondered down the 8th grade hall to take pictures. I was the only mom, and he was like..."mom, come on" hence the closed eyes...but now we are so glad I did...
1 comment:
My heart breaks for this family, and all of you who love him so. I'm so sorry for the loss of such a vibrant and special Young Man.
Our hearts & prayers are with you all.
Post a Comment