Saturday, September 10, 2011

July 3rd was a day that I won't forget anytime soon.....

it was the day I was asked to be young women's president of our church!!! I was bawling!! I couldn't believe my ears!! I had been serving as the 1st counselor as was happy as pie!!! But this was almost too much!! I wanted to tell the bishop that hourly on occasion I may say shit, damn, or hell, I listen to loud music, and I can't make a decision to save my life!! But I just nodded my head and said....."I would LOVE too"!!! For the first three weeks I had constant diarrhea and all I did was dream about all the young women going inactive!! I may or may not have made a special trip to the doctor a few short days later for something for my anxiety!! And to top it off girls camp was coming up and they thought it be a good idea for the new presidency to go and get to know the girls!! My first thought was ARE YOU CRAZY??? But it truly was the best thing!!! We left for girls camp in late July! I hadn't been to girl's camp in 20+ years and I had the time of my life! We had all of our young women go except one!!
 We had flag ceremony every morning....


Welcome to camp!!! Our theme was "Pieces of Our Testimony"! The youth leaders welcoming everyone to camp...

There was certification....





we were water proofing matches with paraffin wax but Sierra water proofed her fingers instead....

We bedazzled our camp shirts....

 This guys came with me!! Had a bug zapper in hand most of the time even though the bugs weren't bad at all!! They were just fun to use!!

 Quick story.....the day we left was my and John's 20th anniversary!!! 20 YEARS!! Can ya believe it?? We spent our 20 year anniversary at girls camp!!! Everyone was so sweet though and got us a card and a big cookie that said Happy Anniversary!! We had a big wall downstairs for the girls to doodle on and a few even drew a few pictures of us....



played a "get to know ya game"...

our awesome priesthood leaders who kept a fire going, had one for us every morning, helped with certification, and everything else we may have needed...

 {bow chicka bow wow ~ i love this guy} The next day we head out for our hike.....



Our beautiful beehives....

Our marvelous Mia-Maids...


Our lovely Laurels...

Our loving leaders...

The whole gang...


Our priesthood leaders, John and Randall, and Bishop Cox!! Everytime we stopped they ended up taking about a 100 hundred pictures using everone's cameras....

Our hike was only about 4 miles but it kicked my butt...





 We got to the continental divide....

 half of us in Idaho, half of us in Montana....

Our hike was a virtue hike! The night before we left we had a talk on virtue then we all signed a virtue flag with something we were committed to being virtuous to!! At the top of the mountain we planted our virtue flag and had a talk by the laurel class president on virtue!!! She did amazing...







On the way down we found some snow and decided to go sledding!! The girls were going down on the bums and ponchos and just having fun!! I decided I couldn't be a stick in the mud leader so I thought I would give it a try!!! But let me preface this story that when I have an idea to try "something fun"....it most always ends in disaster, as this one did!! Here's the patch of death snow....


looks pretty fun and easy right?? Well extremely long story short....I biffed it ad right where the dirt and snow meet!! Landed on my knees, bury my face in the snow, but the whole time I am a smilin'!!! And did I mention Traci got it all on video?? Yea she did!!! So I was able to relive it for two more days in slow motion and reverse even!!! It was pretty funny!!! I asked John later what everyone said when I fell {cause honestly....my pride was hurt more than anything} and he said this was just this collective gasp followed a "ohhhhh" from everyone!!! I really wasn't hurt, just embarrassed!!! Really embarrassed!!!! I did redeem myself and tried it one more time and was successful at making it down the hill!!! The rest of camp was filled with skits, songs, crafts, food, talking, laughter and floating the Buffalo River {I left my camera back at camp for that one ~ good thing too cause I fell in right at the beginning}and chicken fights, which I about peed my pants watching, mind you at 3:00 A.M., but since I didn't get any pictures of that and you if don't know what "chicken fights" are, I will gladly explain it to you, maybe even demonstatre, but I have bad knees so it's kinda hard, but I will try cause it's HILARIOUS ....



I have had some really awesome experiences this summer, this being one of them!!! I think between the girls and leaders, we probably took over a 1000 pictures!! All memories that will last a lifetime!!!

2 comments:

Jessica said...

Chris, you are going to make a WONDERFUL Young Women's President. Those girls are so lucky to have you serving them.
Camp looked like such a great time. HOW FUN!

Jolene said...

They couldn't have found a better YW President! You are awesome and I'm so glad that you were able to have a great experience at camp. Love ya!