Monday, November 19, 2012

Hunting Season 2012.....

was a very successful year for two of my three guys!!! And it was quite the adventure!! Justin, Jace, and John headed up early in the morning!!! And it paid off! Just took the first bull on Monday morning!! He was so excited...




John gutted it {yuck} and cut it all up {double yuck} and they wrapped it up and hauled it out! I had taken them up that morning and dropped them off and had to go get them!! It was quite a sight to see them carrying it out!! John was sure they'd have to make 2 trips but the boys talked him into one trip, and the old man sure was feeling it the next day!! Justin hauled out a hind quarter {about 100 lbs.}, John a hind quarter and something else {about 200 lbs.}, and J the back straps and head {about 100 lbs.}!! It was quite a sight seein' them walking out....





They were beat and still had a whole lot of work for them at home....clean-up, eat, and shower! But they were running on adrenaline and excitement! Justin and I ran the elk up to Ball Packing! I was glad because it meant we had some good meat for the winter!
They headed out again Wednesday, this time looking for one for J! I drove 'em up again {at 6:00 in the morning, all alone, in the dark, on dirt, windy, roads!! But I did it and survived} and dropped them off! I got a call later in the morning and they hadn't got anything! See a few but no shots! But they took some pictures while waiting....

{I love the man in the above picture so much!! He is in his element right there}!!!


 Then later that afternoon I got the call ~ Jace has shot his first elk!!!



Can't ya see the pure joy in his face? I could hear him yelling in the background, whooping and hollering!    But by the time they got it all gutted {yuck} it was past dark and where they were at, they couldn't haul it out! So they hung it in a tree and walked out! I headed up to the dark {so very dark} mountains to pick em' up!! I took my nephew Braxton with me and I was glad to have his company! I waited about a half hour and then saw 3 head lamps walking down the road!! Again they were exhausted but so excited!!
This next picture is what the terrain was like when they had to haul Justin's elk out and walk out at night after they got J's....
\
 I had made and brought them some oatmeal chocolate chip cookies and had fried potatoes, brats, and homemade bread waiting for them at home!! The next morning they packed up once again to go get J's elk! It was still there and this time they took a four wheeler to haul it out! Much easier! We took J's up to Ball Packing! We are set on meat ~ hamburger, jerky, and steak for a long time!! It was hard on the old man and even the boys weer worn out but he had a great time with his sons that will always be remembered and treasured!!



No comments: