Justin's mission papers were sent November 13th. We were told to expect them November 26th or December 6th. Cool!! We were excited!!! But we were stunned to receive then November 23rd!!! The day after thanksgiving!! I mean literally STUNNED!!! Hannah went out to get the mail and came running in yelling, "Justin's mission call is here"...
We were all still in our jammies, just finished up breakfast and everyone ran to her!!! Justin grabbed it from her and just starred at it then I grabbed it from him and starred at it!!! Then I think I screamed!!! I just held it to my chest!!! For one hour!! I wouldn't let it go!!! I couldn't let it go! I don't know why!!! Finally around noon Justin and I took it down to my dad's safe! My mom suggested I get dressed!! We planned to open it later that night and have pizza and have everyone make a guess!!! Steph and Mike were in St. George for Thanksgiving so we planned to do face time with them!! So mom and I headed to town, John, Blake and the boys rode to Pocatello and we all met up to get everything ready!!! Justin was nervous!! really nervous!! All I could was cry!! I couldn't believe it was here!! I wasn't ready and I just kind of wandered in circles!! We went over to mom's and got everything set up...
Everyone made their guesses...
This is a list of all the LDS missions so people could make their guesses....
We bought a little Book of Mormon, some CTR lip stuff, a Utah truffle & a missionary book mark for whoever got the closest guess! Justin also wrote his testimony in the back of the Book of Mormon....
The it was picture taking time....
Everyone finally got there and it was time!! We got Steph on the iPad and Justin opened his call...
This is what he read....
"Dear Elder Russell:
You are hereby called to serve as a missionary of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. You are assigned to labor in the Canada Calgary Mission. it is anticipated that you serve for a period of 24 months.
You should report to the Provo Missionary Training Center on Wednesday, April 10th, 2013. You will prepare to teach the gospel in the English language. Your assignment may be modified according to the needs of the mission president.
You have been recommended as one worthy to represent the Lord as a minister of the restored gospel. You will be an official representative of the Church. As such, you will be expected to maintain the highest standards of conduct and appearance by keeping the commandments, living mission rules, and following the counsel of your mission president. As you devote your time and attention to serving the Lord, leaving behind all other personal affairs, the Lord will bless you with increased knowledge and testimony of the Restoration and of the truths of the gospel of Jesus Christ.
Your purpose will be to invite others to come unto Christ by helping them receive the restored gospel through faith in Jesus Christ and His Atonement, repentance baptism, receiving the gift of the Holy Ghost, and enduring to the end. as you serve with all you heart, might, mind, and strength the Lord will lead you to those who are prepared to be baptized.
The Lord will reward you for your goodness of your life. greater blessings and more happiness than you have yet experienced await as you humbly and prayerfully serve the Lord in this labor of love among His children. We place our confidence in you and pray that the Lord will help you become an effective missionary.
You will be set apart as a missionary by your stake president. Please send your written acceptance promptly, endorsed by your bishop.
Sincerely,
Thomas S. Monson"
My baby's going to CANADA!!!!!
Isn't that just the most amazing thing you've ever read???
He started bawling as he read it!! and I had to cover my mouth so I wouldn't scream!!!
He actually guessed Toronto Canada!! He was just a little too far east...
Justin had been sick all day with worry and I did nothing but cry but after he read that letter he felt nothing but peace and I have felt the same way! I know with out a doubt that the tears will return in full force but I feel such a peace of where Justin is going and the work he is going to do there!
We have been looking on-line about Calgary and learning a little about it! And it seems like everyone we know has relatives or friends there, we know about 4 people that served missions there, and even strangers we talk to say "oh yeah my wife's from Canada" or "I'm engaged to a guy from Canada".....it's been strange but comforting at the same time! He leaves in April which seems like a long time but it gives him a chance to work a little longer and for us to get all ready! We are going to make a trip to Utah with all his Aunts and Uncles, grandparents, and oldest kids from each family {Jace, Austen, and Braxton} to get all his mission stuff!!! It was a day and roller coaster of emotion!! Good and great emotions! And he is truly excited and ready to go!!!

1 comment:
I am so excited for Justin and for your family!! He will be an amazing missionary! How are you doing? I have been a missionary and had my parents leave but I have never sent one of my children...I can't even imagine the roller coaster of emotions!
What an exciting time for your family! Calgary is lucky to get such an amazing young man!
Post a Comment