Saturday, April 10, 2010

Justin tries out for...

the Shelley Golf Team......and MAKES IT!! This kid LOVES golf! He's been playin' since he was about 10! He never has had any lessons {I didn't know he needed any and he never asked for some} and developed a few bad habits with his swing along the way! This year he worked with a guy before tryouts and that really helped break those habits and he is doing really good! It's been a few stressful weeks for tryouts with the very uncooperative weather!! They tried out last week and he had a REALLY bad score on one hole, I think he golfed a 60 on 9 holes which put him 12th! He was bummed....and all this week they have been waiting for the weather to clear up and yesterday it did!! He golfed a 45 and with the combined scores came in 10th which puts him on the team ~ barely! If he would have golfed the first time like he did yesterday he would've come in 6th but he was REALLY nervous the first time and yesterday had the attitude "if I make it great, if not I'll get me a pass and golf all summer" so he was able to just "play", relax, and really put the things he has learned to use! He pulled one on me though...I had been waiting all night for "the call" and he finally called and told me he didn't make the team! I felt so bad just knowing how much he really wanted this {next year they are cutting golf from the school due to budget cuts, there will still be golf, but it will be Club Golf}! So he walks in the door and I try to give him a hug and he just kinda pulls away and turns his back toward me and is facing his dad and gives him the thumbs up and a huge smile! So now John knows he made it, but I still don't know...so for about five more minutes I keep yapping about how it's ok and I'm proud he tried, all the while he's trying not to bust out laughing!! Which when he finally does...yelling "I MADE THE GOLF TEAM!!" The big butt!!! But now we need golf shoes, pants, and a new putter!! We are so proud of him! He's up at the Country Club right now. They have to work for 4 hours cleaning it up and doing some odds and ends around the course and then they are golfing the rest of the day! He is on cloud nine! So thankful for...1) a beautiful day 2) got my groceries bought yesterday ~ the kids came home from school so excited not to see bare cupboards {though the fruit snacks, orange juice, and one bag of chips is already gone} 3) my bike...it's finally getting warm enough to ride

2 comments:

Janiel said...

Congrats!

Colette said...

Don't you just hate it when the groceries are gone faster than it took you to go and get them. These growing children!! Congrats to Justin!!