Friday, August 21, 2009

First day of school...

was great!! I was up at 4:30 cause I couldn't sleep so I took an hour shower {started crying}, got ready, and prepared myself for the day ahead ~ and it was a looong day! We started at 6:30! A huge problem for four little children who didn't get to bed till 11:00 the night before {I know...bad mom, but I really did try, they were so excited they couldn't get to sleep}! We had blueberry muffins, ham and cheese croissants, and orange juice! Got 'em all ready and "first day of school pictures"...
Justin...

Jace...

Hannah...

Halle...

and all my little chicks...

Then day was goin' great till Justin got in the car ~ he drove his first day ~ and then my tears just started flowin'!! It was so hard watching him drive off...

He had a great day and is really going to like school this year! Except all John and I hear now is..."I need a car"! Patience my son...patience!! Next up was Jace! He was excited for school too! A little nervous but glad to be a 7th grader!!

And then Hannah! She was a little more nervous, but found her friends as soon as she got there and everything went smoothly!

And then the moment I had been dreading all morning...Halle! She jumped outta the car and off she went ~ running from me!

She ran right to the playground and started playing! John and I hung around till it was time for her to line up! She was so excited to start school! She found her teacher and got in line! This is where my ♥ was torn from my chest...
her waving bye to me and her dad...all ready to go on to her new adventure! She rode the bus home, had lunch, had some homework, then her and I zonked on my bed for an hour till it was time to make cookies for the brothers and sister for when they got home!! My favorite part of the day was dinner! We had a back to school dinner "cafeteria style"! We had spaghetti, beans, french bread, salad, a cookie, and chocolate milk served on lunch trays! Under each tray was a note with a question they had to answer ~ for example..."What are you going to do to make your school year even better than last year?" We missed Justin cause he had football but he came home, ate, and answer all the questions!! It was a fun dinner and I hope to make it a back-to-school tradition! I have to thank my very talented, clever, friend, and neighbor who is the bestest mom ever for the idea!And just when you think I got everything cleaned up and put the kids snuggly in their beds and sat down and finally took a breather from all the cryin' and racin' around...this is what we did instead...John went to fire meeting, Jace went to football, the girls stayed home, and Justin, my mom, and I went to town! She wanted to take Justin shoppin' ~ something she'll do for each of her grand kids when they are sophomores ~ and I wanted to tag along! It was alot of fun! Justin's still a pain to get to try clothes on, but mom bought him four shirts, a pair of shorts, a pair of jeans, and put some money toward some shoes!! I brought my camera along but they were both bein 'ittle butts, I still got a few pictures...
Justin tryin' on a sweatshirt...
that we DID NOT purchase! It was one of those funky ones that the hood zips all the way up and ya get this!! A little to "out there" for Justin.
Here's Justin and grandma at Areopostle...
and one of Justin "sprinting" through the mall to get away from his crazy mama with the camera who he couldn't believe she brought it to the mall... It was a wonderful day and night for all! It was a very emotional draining day! I was so glad John was home with me...I don't know what I would've done! I kept askin' him if he wanted to go for a bike ride, if he wanted to go for a walk, or if he wanted something to eat or drink! I am very proud of our kids! I guess John and I are doing our job if they can just go on their way to each new adventure and not look back! But they take a piece of my heart every time they do! Back to routine and schedules!! I did get things cleaned up and the kids actually got to bed before 11:00 last night ~ after John made them shut off iPods and DS's! So thankful for...1) John 2) Justin 3) Jace 4) Hannah 5) Halle 6) and today I haven't cried ~ yet!!

7 comments:

Colette said...

You're a great Mom. It is so hard to have them grow up, it breaks my heart when I think my 16 year old is a Junior and will be gone in a few years, sniff, sniff, sniff!!! Love your dinner idea. Where did you get the lunch trays? Did you rade the cafeteria??

Janiel said...

School is TOO hard on mommas I have decided!!!

Adrienne said...

Sure...I haven't cried today till I read your post. Love the dinner idea...to this day I still love choc milk with cafeteria type food! What a great first day of school for your family!

Jessica said...

Oh Man! Looks like the first day went wonderful!! I will be doing the exact same thing next Wednesday - and I only have 1. Still breaks the heart.
The spaghetti dinner and the card is such a cute idea. Way to go MOM!
So thankful that Justin did not buy that sweatshirt - WOA - "out there" is right!
Here we go......

Allison said...

Chris, you are an AMAZING mother and person. I have been jumping on your blog now and then since Keri Payne gave me the address and I must say it has become an addiction. You are such a wonderful example to me.

I know it's been years, and years, and years . . . but I just want you to know that you are awesome and I would love to see you and your cute family in person one of these days.

I can't believe how much Hannah looks like you did at that age.

My daughter starts 1st grade this year . . . a full day, at least I have the baby home for a few more years, he is almost 16 months.

Please email me at allielarsen@msn.com so we can catch up.

Allison Bolton Larsen

Allison said...

also, I need your e-mail so you can see my blog . . . I had to make it private a while back!

Allison

Anonymous said...

oh man! The emotions that school brings!! Kylee had her first day last week...and I cried like a little baby!! She loves school and is so grownup that it makes me sad! I don't know how you do it with 4!! Kylee goes all day...which is good and bad!! :) They all look so grownup in their pictures..I love 1st day of school pictures! Too cute! Tell Hannah we love her cute new haircut!! Halle is such a doll..I love the side pony! And GREAT idea for the back to school dinner...what a fun mom you are! :)