Wednesday, May 12, 2010

John's last "World of Work"...

John has gone to the kindergarten for everyone of our kids and has done World of Work where he goes as a volunteer firefighter! He talks to all of the kindergartners in the morning and has been always been invited to go back to talk to the afternoon session too! He does an awesome job and the kids love seeing all the equipment and especially the truck! I went with him this year and as we were driving over in the fire engine I asked him if he knew what today was...he said, "the last time I'll have to do World of Work"! I thought it was funny he was thinkin' about that too, but we do that alot ~ be thinking of the same things at the same time ~ and for him it was a relief, for me another reminder of how fast they are growing up!!! But we got there and everyone got seated and Hal was able to introduce her dad ~ John Russell and he's a volunteer firefighter!!!!He shows them how the fire hose squirts the water and then he turns on the sirens and the kids all squeal and cover their ears!! We had coloring books, pencils, and hats for them to take home!! We love our daddy and are so proud of him!! While we were waiting to go and do the afternoon session we met the boys at Mick's for lunch... I have to thank John for going and doing things like this!! Ya think he sees the paper in the kids back packs and eagerly signs himself up? No way!! I sign him up for things like this all the time and he goes and does them ~ with a little complaining on the side but once we get there he usually ends saying that it wasn't too bad!!! And if I throw in a cheeseburger and fries and a couple of kisses he's pretty forgiving!! So thankful for...1) John and putting up with all my "volunteering" him 2) Halle, when she looks at her daddy...whether it's at World of Work or when he goes into her classroom to help, or even when he comes home from work, her eyes light up, her loves her daddy 3) the great dad that John is, he gives up so much for his family

5 comments:

Brandi said...

I have to admitt that I kinda sorda got a little emotional reading this. I don't know why! I guess it is just thinking about the lasts, you know? I think it is just wonderful that John was able to do this for the kiddos-even if it did take a push from you. I look forward to all the firsts in my life like that when Bridge starts kindergaten in a few years. Everything that is soon in the past for you is soon coming in the future for me! It's exciting. Hal is a doll as always!!!!!

Adrienne said...

what an awesome dad. (and now i'm hungry for micks at 830 am!)

Shayna said...

That is funny that Brandi said that she got emotion reading your post because i sure did too. I dont know what it is about your blog and how you express your love and feelings towards your famly but they always brings tears to my eyes! You are amazing and so is John. What a good guy! LOVE YOU TONS!

Janiel said...

How cute! I am hating all these "lasts" too! What a FUN day and what a good dad! Yum! Micks!

Anonymous said...

what a great dad!! :) Gotta love volunteering our hubbies for stuff! Um...I am so wanting Mick's right now...too bad I'm 4 hours away!! Their cheeseburgers and fries sound DELISH right about now! :) Love ya!